Grove-Bowersox Funeral Home, Inc.   Miller-Bowersox Funeral Home

 

About Us

Grove-Bowersox Funeral Home

Grove-Bowersox Funeral HomeFounded by Frank E. Grove in 1887, the "undertaking parlor" was established as an adjunct to his cabinet making and furniture business at 40 East Main Street. In the year 1916, he erected the building at 13 South Church Street (now the Welfare Association Building) for the "funeral parlor" and several years later moved the business to the family home at 27 South Church Street, part of which was built by his father, William F. Grove in the 1850's. 

His son, Walter Y. Grove, joined him in the operation of the funeral home in 1923. For a number of years prior to the death of the elder Grove in 1927, the business was known as F.E. Grove and Son. Furniture repair and refinishing was still performed by the firm until 1946. The business was moved to the present location at 50 S. Broad Street when the construction of the new funeral home was completed in 1951.

Walter's son, David Y. Grove, became associated with the firm in 1959 and the business was operated as a partnership from 1961 until Walter's death in 1968. David continued to operate the business as a proprietorship until 1982, when it was incorporated as Grove Funeral Home, Inc. David served as president of the corporation until the business was sold to its current owner, James A. Bowersox, in 1990.

Cumberland Valley Crematorium was added to the business in November, 1993, in order to provide cremation services.

In 2000, Mr. Bowersox added his name to the business, changing the corporation's name to Grove-Bowersox Funeral Home, Inc. 

In December 2010, Jim and Barbara Bowersox sold the business to their son and daughter-in-law, Jeremy and Andrea Bowersox.

See more photos of our facility here »

Miller-Bowersox Funeral Home

Miller-Bowersox Funeral HomeFounded in 1829 by David Detrich, the cabinet making and undertaking business was first located at his 38 W. Baltimore Street home. Together with his brother, Jeremiah S. Detrich, who also was a cabinet maker and undertaker, he formed a partnership in 1851 known as D. & J. Detrich. The partnership continued until 1881 when David, who had become a General in the Pennsylvania State Militia, withdrew because of his age. In 1890, Jeremiah's son, William S. Detrich, joined the business, which was renamed J. Detrich & Son and focused only on undertaking. According to records, it was the "only undertaking establishment in Greencastle" at that time. 

The firm continued under William S. Detrich until 1936 when it was sold to Arvid "Plug" Minnich and became the Minnich Funeral Home. In 1940, Minnich moved the business to 112 E. Baltimore Street. He then formed a partnership in 1970 with Marvin Miller, an associate, and called the business Minnich-Miller Funeral Home. In 1984, Miller sold the business to Robert C. May, an associate, who renamed it the Minnich-Miller-May Funeral Home. May built a new facility and moved the funeral business to its present location at 521 S. Washington Street in 1991. James A. Bowersox purchased the firm in 1996 and in 2000 changed the name to Miller-Bowersox Funeral Home. 

In December 2010, Jim and Barbara Bowersox sold the business to their son and daughter-in-law, Jeremy and Andrea Bowersox.

See more photos of our facility here »

 

Home   |   Contact Us
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.